No valid Igloo license registered.
No valid Igloo license registered.
Building and Renovating - Municipality of Centre Hastings

Building and Renovating

The Municipality of Centre Hastings is currently receiving a high volume of building inquiries. Please take the time to read through the information below before contacting the office for support. If you have building questions after reviewing the information please complete the following form and staff will respond in order of the requests.

Home Owners are responsible for getting the appropriate permits and approvals from the following (when required) before applying for a building permit, as per the Ontario Building Code:

  1. Quinte Conservation Authority: (613)968-3434
  2. Lower Trent Valley Conservation Authority: (613)394-4829
  3. Ministry of Environment: 1-800-565-4923
  4. Ministry of Transportation: (705)755-5714
  5. Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs – MDS Contacts: (613)475-1630

In this Act, “building” means,

(a) A structure occupying an area greater than ten square meters consisting of a wall, roof and floor or any of them or a structural system serving the function thereof including all plumbing, works, fixtures, and service systems appurtenant thereto,

(b) A structure occupying an area of ten square meters or less that contains plumbing, including the plumbing appurtenant thereto,

(c) Plumbing not located in a structure, or

(d) Structures designated in the building code; (“bâtiment”)

“construct” means to do anything in the erection, installation, extension or material alteration or repair of a building and includes the installation of a building unit fabricated or moved from elsewhere and “construction” has a corresponding meaning; (“construire”, “construction”, “travaux de construction”)

  1. All new construction.
  2. To remove any partitions.
  3. To move or relocate any plumbing fixtures.
  4. To construct or replace any roof structure.
  5. To construct any addition to an existing dwelling.
  6. To install any door or window where none exists.
  7. To install any door or window which is larger than the existing one.
  8. To construct any footings.
  9. To construct any basement under an existing structure.
  10. To construct any deck.
  11. To construct any addition to an existing storage shed so that the total area exceeds 100 square feet.
  12. To construct any secondary residence.
  13. To construct any concrete floor which covers or encases plumbing.
  14. To install any wood burning, solid fuel-burning appliance, and/or chimney.
  15. To add a porch (screened or glass) to any dwelling.
  16. To add a roof to any existing deck.
  17. To install insulation and vapour barrier.
  18. To construct a carport.
  19. To change the use of a building.
  20. To demolish a building or any part of a building.
  21. To replace a shingle roof with steel.
  22. To install, repair, replace the septic system or part thereof.
  1. To re-shingle any roof (shingles to shingles).
  2. To replace siding.
  3. To replace doors or windows of the same size.
  4. To install or repair soffit or fascia.
  5. To construct any storage building less than 160 sq. ft. (Note: must meet set back requirements of Zoning Bylaw).

Please contact the local Municipal Office at 613-473-4030 x211 

  1. A fully completed Municipality APPLICATION form
  2. Two (2) sets of PLANS for the proposed construction, renovation, etc.
  3. A copy of the roof truss drawings (stamped by a P.Eng. (when applicable))
  4. A copy of the heat loss calculations (when applicable)
  5. A site plan showing the location of the building on the lot – i.e. distances from side, rear and front yards
  6. Proof of Ownership of Property – i.e. copy of registered deed (when Municipal Office has not yet received official notice of change in ownership)
  7. A fully completed septic application (when applicable)
  8. A copy of an “Entrance Permit” signed by the Road Superintendent and the Property Owner (when applicable)
  9. Completion of a Ministry of Agriculture “Minimum Distance Separation” Form
  • Minimum of 5 days for decks & garages
  • Minimum of 10 days for house permits
  • Minimum of 30 days for commercial/septic permits
  1. Permits can be obtained through your local office.
  2. Inspections can be obtained by calling (613)473-4030. Do NOT call before ready.
  3. All information listed under “What Information Do I Need to Supply” above must be received and approved before a permit will be issued. (Note: The “USE” of the proposed building construction must also conform to the Municipality’s Zoning Bylaw before a permit can be issued. The Municipality’s Building Permit Application Form requires specific details on the proposed use to be provided.)
  4. Construction started prior to the issuance of a Building Permit is in violation of the Municipality’s Building Bylaw and the property owner will be subject to an administration fee of double fee and possible fines and penalties as set out in the Set Fines Bylaw. In addition, a “Stop Work Order” will be issued against the subject construction until a permit is obtained.

A Plumbing Permit is required prior to installing or altering any plumbing system.

Septic Permits are obtained through the Municipal Offices.

It is unlawful to start construction without the necessary permits.

If you start construction without the necessary permits, you may be ordered to stop work, ordered to remove work already done, or prosecuted. Contact the Building Department if you are not sure whether you need a permit for your project.

A building inspector reviews projects during key stages of construction to ensure work complies with the Building Code and the plans originally submitted for review. The inspector may visit a site several times depending on the project. They must be able to see the work that requires inspection. An inspector requires a minimum of 24 hours’ notice to book an inspection.

The municipality does not conduct pre-purchase inspections. (For information on purchasing the services of a pre-purchase building inspection service, please refer to the Yellow Pages of the telephone directory.)

As the new homeowner, it is your responsibility to ensure you use the home in a manner that meets the Ontario Building Code. Do not assume the previous owner obtained a building permit before doing renovations to the home.

Matt deJong

Chief Building Official

Scroll to top